Saturday, January 22, 2011

Finally, vindication.

It's been a rough time playing Magic the Gathering.  About a month ago I played in my first tournament and had a decent turn out.  Since then, it's been a month of straight frustration.  I've been dropping money on cards that haven't helped, changing strategies, and just flat out losing matches.  However, today I dropped twenty on cards, sleeved them up, and went to tonight's Friday Night Magic.  Then I fucking kicked ass and took second place in an 18 person tournament.  The best part though, is that I beat out this one dude who qualified for the pro tour.  That's a huge accomplishment itself, but what makes it really great is that the dude is a fucking dick.  First off, he didn't shake hands at the start of the game because he said he was getting sick, then he made fun of my side burns [what a dickhead], and when I did beat him, he said I got lucky.  I GUESS IT'S LUCKY THAT I DRAW CARDS I PUT IN MY DECK IN THE FIRST PLACE.  Fuck that.  Whatever, I went undefeated and then split for 2nd in the last round.  It feels good to be a winner again.

1 comment:

  1. Joe-

    Congrats on finally bucking the downward trend. My name is Bill Stark, and I have both played professionally and now do contract work for Wizards, like helping to create new cards (I also run the Magic blog http://www.TheStarkingtonPost.com).

    It sounds like you've been hit with the experience of dealing with a pro who is perhaps a bit jaded. Don't let that sweat you; lots of professional players are truly great guys, and my closest friends in the world are people I played with on Tour. Keep an open mind about professional players, who are as a whole pretty nice guys. And consider working towards the Pro Tour; I've been to four continents, over a dozen countries, and had experiences I couldn't have had any other way thanks to my favorite card game.

    Cheers, and say hi over on the Post!
    -Bill

    ReplyDelete