Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My future as a professional table tennis player.

I've thought long and hard about my future and this is the only way I see it happening:

  • Early September 2010 - I move to Seoul for a new job, but I have to quit going to the Champion Ping-Pong Club.  I thank my coach, Park Young Gil, for teaching me the basics of table tennis.
  • Late September 2010 - After finally settling into my new job and apartment, I sign up for ping pong lessons.  At first, I'm a little hesitant about my new coach's training program, but I finally settle in and start learning more advanced techniques.
  • Mid 2011 - I go back to Los Angeles, taking the ping-pong techniques I learned in Korea with me.  I sign up for lessons at the Westside Table Tennis Center, taking lessons from former U.S. Olympian Wei Wang.  Of course, I purchase my own table to practice at home.
  • 2012 - I enter into a few basic tournaments.  Being unable to shake the nervousness of competitive play, I lose horribly in the first round of the tournament.
  • Early 2013 - I start finding my groove in competitive play and decide to enter more competitive tournaments, so I enter the California Open of Table Tennis.  I lose miserably.
  • Early 2014 - After my loss at the California Open, I decide to switch to a new ping-pong club to get training from a different coach and new practice partners.  Once again, I enter the California Open.  This time I manage to get third.
  • Late 2014 - I enter the nation table tennis tournament.  I know I still don't have a shot of winning, but I go for the experience.  After the tournament, I go to a doctor because of recurring shoulder pain.  They tell me that I lose my arm if I continue to play competitive table tennis.
  • 2015 - This is the year of change.  After hours and hours of pondering, I decide that I can't give up table tennis.  Instead, I decide to start training myself.  What I come up with is a new defensive style of play that's less strenuous on the shoulder.  I re-enter the national tournament and take first place with my new style.
  • 2016 - With winning the national tournament, I'm the American favorite in the 2016 Olympics.  My new style of play manages to win me through the early rounds, but is still not enough to beat the Chinese powerhouse.  I end up finishing just short of a medal in fourth place.
  • 2017 and beyond - I open my own table tennis center.  Players from around the world come to be coached in my defensive style.

Yep, that's how it's all going to work out.  It's seriously the last shot I have at getting into the Olympics, unless they decide to finally make bowling an Olympic sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment