Monday, July 26, 2010

Why I hate bowling in Korea

  1. They don't serve alcohol.  That's right.  This is number one.  I know that bowling is a recreational activity that doesn't actually require the consumption of an alcoholic beverage to be fun, but beer just makes it better.  Bowling and beer just go hand in hand.
  2. The lanes are inconsistent.  If you don't bowl often, you might not realize just how important the oil on the lane actually is.  It really makes a lot difference.  Sure, there are a lot of bowling alleys back home that aren't maintained really well and I understand that it's just what you're going to deal with sometimes, but Korea takes it to a whole new level.  I've even seen a woman using a spray bottle and a mop to apply oil onto a lane [it's usually done by a machine in case you didn't know].
  3. House balls suck.  They really do.  For one thing, it's hard to find a ball that I can fit my fat fingers.  Another thing is that a lot of the balls aren't drilled with the standard grip.  This wouldn't have been a problem if I brought my own bowling ball, but it was hard to justify packing a 15-lb object when I was left for Korea.
  4. The lady at the bowling alley judges me.  I understand that a foreigner wanting to bowl by himself at 10:00PM might not be the most normal thing, but she doesn't have to look at me with her ultra-critical stare.
  5. They're too damn hot.  This is only a problem that I've recently started encountering, since it's summer and all.  Usually, there's only one air conditioner and it's behind the employees' counter and then there are big ass fans everywhere else.  It's seriously inefficient.  I can bowl three games by myself and I'll come out of the damn place looking like I sprinted 2 miles in a desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment