Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It's a constant struggle.

In her old age, my mom's only two joys are not my brother and me, but the Filipino Channel and computer solitaire. This doesn't bother me one bit, but since the big screen TV in the living room is currently not working, it means that the prime real estate in the house is now my brother's room, where one can enjoy cable TV while sitting at a computer desk. I particularly enjoy this spot because I can indulge in internet browsing and daytime Law & Order marathons. So now my brother's room has become a heated battlefield while my brother is at work/school in the day between my mom and me. My mom is surprisingly sneaky. When I get up to use the bathroom she will sneak in and firmly plant herself in the computer chair. Since I enjoy computer games myself, I know that it's pointless to interrupt someone when they're in the middle of a game, so once those cards are dealt on the screen there's no moving her until the game is done. If I miss that window where she completes a game and starts another one, then I'll be stuck with my iPad and now television for hours. I'm fairly sneaky myself, so sometimes when I want to use the computer, I'll call the house from my cell phone and when she gets up to answer it, I'll take over the computer. I'm able to defend the position for a while by telling her that I'm applying for jobs, which I actually do sometimes. However, my mom is a hardened veteran of subtle mind games so I always have to be on the lookout.

No comments:

Post a Comment