Monday, January 18, 2010

It's actually a little lonely.

I'm finally back at my own desk at Yeonhak Elementary School. I've been teaching my own English winter camp for the past two days. The camp is entirely a plan that I put together the day before each day. It's going pretty well. I'm finally getting to teach what I want, in the way the way that I want, and without the textbook to worry about. I feel like I'm making some real progress with the class, except for one kid. I'm not entirely sure what his deal is, especially because it's a voluntary class and he doesn't have to show up. Anyway, it's been going smoothly. My new co-worker (it almost feels like she's my assistant) is really helpful. The only real problem is that I've already blown through half of the things I've wanted to cover for the entire week and there's three whole days left. I've been trying to waste time too. To take up time today, I made my class do the hokey-pokey, just because I saw it online while taking my break. I'm planning on spending two hours tomorrow just playing basketball and tapeball in the gym though.

When my classes end, I'm here by myself. My co-worker's shift ends and my regular co-teacher isn't here. I've been sitting by myself without any human contact at work for the past 4 hours. I could probably go home without anyone noticing, but I sort of feel that someone is going to come in and check on me right before it's time to go home.

To pass the time, I've spent a copious amount of time smoking cigarettes on the school roof. It's nice though, because there's still about six inches of untouched snow. Unless you're also from a state that never snows and don't go on a ski trip every year, you can't really imagine the amount of fun I've had. Here's a few things that I learned:

  • I shouldn't just kick snow unnecessarily because wet shoes eventually lead to wet socks and cold feet.
  • I can make a snowball fairly quickly with one hand, left or right. A cigarette usually occupies my other hand. However, making snowballs with two hands is quicker.
  • The snowballs I make with one hand aren't efficient as the ones I make with two hands since they sometimes break in mid-air.
  • I shouldn't throw a snowball like a baseball.
  • I can throw a snowball about 15 or 20 yards.
  • Throwing a snowball sidearm is a good way to wreck my shoulder.
  • My hands get fucking cold.

Long story short, I've just been training for the massive snowball fight that I'm bound to start at some point this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment