Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Five things I probably shouldn't have done this year as a teacher

  1. Accidentally cuss in front of my students.  I've done this a few times.  The worst time I did it was when a kid ran into me from behind while I was looking at him and I ended up hitting my head against the wall.  I yelled, "Fuck."  Then I turned around and said, "You better fucking quit that shit."  I did it all without thinking.  Luckily, I said it fast enough that the kid didn't understand.  I got caught once typing out Korean cuss words on my computer though.  I was spelling them for practice and one of the students walked by and made a big deal of it.  That time, I was lucky that none of my co-teachers were in the office.
  2. Play favorites.  I know that I shouldn't, but it's just too easy.
  3. Mess with my kids' stuff.  Usually, I'm all up in their things.  Pencil cases, notebooks, sometimes backpacks.  It's always interesting to see what they have and mess with their stuff.  My school has a digital class.  The entire class uses laptops and e-books instead of textbooks.  Each student has their own laptop.  One time they went to go do a health check-up or something and they left their computers on their desk.  I went on all their computers, taking pictures of myself on their webcams and then putting that picture as their desktop background.
  4. Chase the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders around the school.  I let them chase me sometimes.  I usually surprise them with how quick I am.  Anyway, I shouldn't do this because one time I was chasing this girl and she ran into a desk and proceeded to start crying.
  5. Teach my students weird things to say in English.  I don't particularly feel bad about this.  Teaching Min Seok "ballin" was probably one of the greatest things I've done as a teacher.  I do feel a little guilty about teaching a lot of the third graders the sentence, "I like Joseph-teacher better," though.

No comments:

Post a Comment