Monday, August 16, 2010

Scooters in Taiwan

Scooters are everywhere in Taiwan.  It's pretty ridiculous.  You see everyone riding them, women, the elderly, even entire families of four crammed onto one scooter.  While in Hualien, Evan and I tried to rent one so we could take it up to Taroko Gorge.  This might not have been the smartest idea, since neither of us has ever driven one, but it's not like it's rocket science.  Anyway, the manager of the hostel was a nice dude and took us to the only place that rents scooters to foreigners without international driver's licenses in Hualien.  When we got there, the lady was willing to rent them to us, but she wanted to test if we could ride them first.  Evan, still hungover from the night before, pointed to me and said that I'd take the test.  Of course, I calmly strapped on a helmet and acted like it ain't no thang, while the guy from the hostel was telling me how to brake (which I already knew).  So I hop on the scooter and the rental lady says something to me in Chinese.  I just nodded and said, "Around the block?"  Then I start to pull out of the garage and she just starts yelling in Chinese.  I stop and all she said was, "No."  It was a pretty sad experience because I didn't even get onto the street.  The day turned out alright though.  We ended up renting regular bicycles instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment