Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I think I made a new Korean friend.

I'm a creature of habit. I usually do the same things and go to the same places when I'm left to my own devices. For example, the kimbap place down the street knows that I'm going to order donkasu whenever I walk in and the pizza place in my neighborhood starts making me a pepperoni pizza even before I get to the register to order. Anyway, one of the places I frequent is the mini-mart down the block that opened a couple of months ago. It's really convenient since I can walk there in under a minute, it's right next to the bus stop, and it's 24 hours. I used to have to wait and cross the street to get to the GS-25 before this place opened. Anyway, I walked in today to charge my T-money card before I hop on the bus to the subway. The lady who runs the store was at the register with her daughter who occasionally works there. I've talked to her a few times in broken Korean just because I'm there so often. While I'm paying, the manager pointed to me and her daughter and suggested that we should be friends in Korean. The daughter also thought this was a good idea, so I ended up giving her my phone number. From the brief small talk we made, I learned that her name was Lee Seung Something-or-other (I couldn't really hear the last part because someone else walked in the store) and that she's 20 years old. I was a little surprised because her mother suggested it and she doesn't really know much about me. I don't really think that I've left a good impression at that place either. Half the time I walk in that place I'm drunk, it's 3:00AM, and all I buy is a bag of chips and two microwavable hamburgers with a pack of cigarettes for dessert. I know that I've been there at least twice when I have been drunk enough to not remember going. The only evidence I had the next morning were the burger wrappers laying on the floor next to my bed. WHAT SORT OF MOTHER WANTS A GUY LIKE THAT TO BE FRIENDS WITH HER DAUGHTER!? Oh well. I'm glad though, since it's another chance to make another friend that's not more than 5 years older than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment