Thursday, February 18, 2010

Korea's changing the way the game is played.

This article in the Chosun Ilbo reports that Korea, in an effort to be more energy efficient, is changing the way baseball is played. The Korean Baseball Organization (KBO) will be installing solar energy panels and energy efficient lights in major stadiums. However, the major change is in how they are trying to shorten the games by enforcing a time limit on pitchers to throw the ball. Once the batter is in the box, pitchers will receive a warning after 12 seconds. After every 12 seconds after the first warning will be counted as a ball. I'm wholeheartedly behind saving energy and I can see how this does make sense, but there are immediate problems that I see. First, teams will have to expand their bullpen. Pitchers are not only having less time between their pitches, but also less time between innings. Another issue is how the 12 seconds are going to be enforced, like what if the pitcher is in a wind-up at 11 seconds, but doesn't release the ball until after 12? There's also going to be some weird circumstances with pitchers trying to hold off runners as well. In the end I guess, I'm not really opposed to the idea. I just know that there are going to be some issues and I sort of want to see how this plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment