Monday, May 24, 2010

I went to Deokjeokdo.

I pretty much decided that I would be going to Deokjeokdo an hour and a half before I left. I got a phone call from a friend waking me up and saying that everyone was meeting at the pier, so I spent a few minutes sitting in bed debating if I really wanted to go or not. Eventually I decided to go so I got ready, packed my shit, and was in a taxi to Yeonan Pier before I knew it.

Deokjeokdo is an island off the coast of Incheon. It's not really far and I guess it's one of the biggest islands on the west side of the Korean peninsula. It took about an hour and a half on the ferry to get there. The tickets weren't very expensive. It was 23,000won round-trip.

Here's a shot from the deck of the ferry. I'm standing around the middle of the ship. The ferry had three levels in all: the bottom for cars, the middle had a room for passengers, and the top with a smaller room for passengers and a place to buy some food.

Here's an accidental peace sign.

I ate this cup of ramen on the ship. The entire trip, travel time and the time on the island, was about 36 hours. I think I ate five of these in that span of time.

You might notice how horrible the sky looks in all these pictures. Well, it started raining while we were still on the ferry. It didn't really let up the entire time we were there, which is regrettable. It was still a fun time. Right after we got off the ferry, we entered a van with a Korean couple in it. They took us to the pension they owned. It was 40,000won for a room and there was a lot of us, so it wasn't too expensive.

We rented three rooms. They were all pretty decent sized. We were considering not getting a third room because we could cram ourselves into two rooms, which was sort of possible but we got the third anyway. It turns out that this was for the best, since our friends who were already out on the island camping had all the shit ruined in the rain and ended up crashing with us. We crammed almost 30 people into three rooms.

This is Coleman shooting off fireworks and smoking a cigarette out the window like a fucking badass.

I didn't take many pictures since it was raining and all. I didn't get to see much of the island either, but it was a pretty fun time. I'll probably go back again when I know that the weather will be nice. For now, I'll leave you with the best picture I took the entire trip:

This is my buddy Evan. He really likes the show Dexter.

No comments:

Post a Comment