Thursday, March 18, 2010

I didn't get into grad school.

I got the rejection e-mail yesterday, so it looks like I won't be a student of the UCLA Graduate School of Education and Information Sciences. I really was hoping to get in, but it's not really a huge deal at the same time. If I really wanted to get into grad school, I probably should have applied to more than one. Now that I'm not going though, I have some really big decisions to make in the next month or so. I originally intended just continuing to work at the school I'm already at for another semester, but the more I think about it, the more I want to leave. It's just not as fun as it was last semester. Anyway, I have a few other options that I came up with and here they all are.:

  1. I'll leave Korea in September when my contract ends and just hope to find a job when I get there. This sounds really awesome. No matter how tempting this sounds though, it's probably not what I'll be doing. It sounds like it will be impossible to find a full-time job when I get back.
  2. I can man up and just decide to stay another year in Korea. This would be really easy to do. I could just extend at my school for another year or even try to transfer to a different one. However, I really don't want to stay another year though.
  3. I'll try to to see if EPIK will let me extend my contract for six months at a different school or at my school. This is probably the best option for me. It would make things easier and means I wouldn't have to apply anywhere else. Six months is also the amount of time that I want to stay here. I'll be saving money while applying for more schools. However, I don't know how likely this will be. I'm just not sure if they'll allow me to extend for only that long.
  4. If that doesn't work out, then I can just sign a year long contract and bail out after six months. This would be really easy to do. Also, if you leave after six months in a contract, there won't be any problems. I'll just have to pay for my own flight home. This is also ideal because I'd have a lot more options in choosing where to work, especially since I already live here. I would feel a little bad about leaving halfway through though.
  5. There's still the option of going private. It really wouldn't be hard for me to find a private job either. I'm sure someone I know here could probably hook me up. It's a good option too, since there's a greater possibility of me working out a six month contract with a hagwon then the public school system.

I guess I should say that if I decide to stay here, I'll try to work in Seoul, just since it'd be different and there's no reason not to. I really wouldn't mind staying in Incheon though. We'll see how it works out. Also, if you have any input/information that could help me figure out what to do, that would be greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment