Monday, March 29, 2010

I've made some serious life decisions.

Since I didn't get into grad school, I've been seriously thinking about what I'm going to be doing for the next few years. When I graduated high school I made this five year plan that I've stuck to. Sure, there has been a few changes to the plan since then, but I made it happen for the most part, going to a community college for two years, then finishing up at a university in two years, and then going out and doing something for a year before going back to school. Now that it's almost been five years since I've graduated from high school, I started to realize that I need a new plan. Not getting into grad school threw a wrench what I originally thought I'd be doing, but it turns out not to be a huge deal in the long run. Anyway, here's what I'm thinking for the next few years:

  1. I'm going to extend my stay in Korea until the spring of 2011. I'm doing this for a few different reasons. First is that I feel like there's a lot Korea offers that I haven't fully taken advantage of, but at the same time, I don't feel like I can stay here any longer than that. Another reason is that there aren't many jobs to take back home, but I need to save money to pay off my student loans before I do anything else.
  2. I'll be teaching at a hagwon (private academy). As much as I love my job at Yeonhak Elementary School, I've decided not to try and extend my contract. I feel like there's a lot more money to be made outside of the public school system and money is a big reason I'm staying. Also, I'll be applying mostly for jobs in Seoul, even though Incheon has been really nice to me. It'll be a nice change of pace.
  3. While I'm here in Korea, I'll be applying for different schools. I'm still looking at teaching credential programs and masters' programs in education, but now I'm also planning on applying to programs for academic counseling and social work. At this point, I really feel like working with teenagers and young adults is something that I can love doing for the rest of my life. This means that I'll be working on applications and studying for all the required tests that I need to take while I'm here in Korea.
  4. I plan on travelling a little more. This will probably occur right before leaving home. I'm hoping to see the rest of Asia and maybe some of Europe before heading back home.
  5. I'm going back to California and finding work before heading into school. I'm really not sure what sort of job I'll find when I get back home, but I'm sure I'll be able to find something. How long I'll be working is also really dependent on if I'm accepted in a program for fall 2011 or not. How much I'm making is also going to determine if I'm living at home or not, but most likely I'll be living in Norwalk, for at least a little while.
  6. I'll get into a school by the end of 2012 and finish in one or two years, depending on the program. I don't know where I'll be going to school. I'm planning on applying to mostly schools in California, but there's a few colleges I'm considering out east.
  7. By 2014, I hope to be starting my career. This might be a little too hopeful since I don't know what's going to happen between now and then, but it's not too far-fetched.

The plan isn't set in stone or anything. There's still a lot left I need to think about, but this is what I have for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment