Monday, April 5, 2010

I tried the Starcraft 2 beta.

Terra PC at the Arts Center in Incheon now has the Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty beta and I got to play it for a bit yesterday. It was a little tough playing since the game was in Korean. If you didn't know, Blizzard didn't make a language option for the first Starcraft, so they play the game in English. It's funny since a few of my kids know random English words like "supply depot" and "barracks" because of the game. Anyway, it was really tough playing the game because of it. I didn't get to try out all the units for each race since I couldn't figure out which structures I needed to make them. Even when I did figure out how to make them, I couldn't figure out where all their upgrades were and that sort of shit. I had fun playing against bots anyway. It's actually funny since they're programmed to say, "GG" when they've pretty much lost the game. I only played 4 quick games and I didn't understand any of the text, but here's a few things that I noticed while playing:

  • The game looks really great. I can understand a lot of people saying they don't like the three dimensions, but yea, it still looks great if you like it or not. The terrain looks a little like Warcraft 3, but a lot better.
  • Some units are entirely missing from the first one.
  • With the graphics upgrade, the units were given whole new looks. One issue though, was that some of the units looked entirely different, like the Terran SCV's.
  • I feel like the gameplay is a little slower. This might just be because the game wasn't running at its fastest and I didn't know how to change it in the options setting.
  • Vespene gas is a lot more crucial. There were two geysers at each starting base on all the maps I played.
  • The Terran supply depot can retract underground. It's going to make walling a whole lot easier for them.
  • Cliffs can now be jumped by some units.
  • Zerg buildings release some units after they're destroyed, a lot like those treasure chests that had beetles or some shit in them in Diablo 2. I'm not sure if this is an upgrade.
  • Now there's an idle probe/drone/SVC button, which makes it a whole lot easier to keep track of them.
  • The Terran structures have new attachments you can put on them, even the barracks.

Anyway, I'll probably try and go back later this week so I can sit and have more time with the game. You'll probably be seeing me in the top 10 of the Asia ladders when the game drops.

No comments:

Post a Comment