Thursday, April 15, 2010

It must be something I ate.

Jajangmyun at a restaurant in Incheon's Chinatown

I ate this yesterday, April 14th. The date's really significant since it's Black Day, an informal holiday in Korea. On Valentine's Day in Korea, women give men chocolate. One month later, on March 14th, the men give women back candy. Black Day is for single people and what they do is go out and eat jajangmyun. I think it's a hilarious concept so I got some people together to go out get some in Chinatown. I guess I should go ahead and drop a little bit of knowledge about Incheon's Chinatown:

  • It's listed as a tourist destination, but overall, it's rather tiny and unimpressive. It's worth a look, but not really worth a trip on its own. It's near Wolmido though, which is pretty cool, so you could make a trip out of visiting both of them.
  • There's Chinese people there and they've been there for a long time. Since the late 19th century according to my travel book.
  • It's the birthplace of jajangmyun.

If you were wondering, jajangmyun is made with a black paste of some sort, honey, onions, and noodles. Also, it's pretty fucking tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment