Monday, April 12, 2010

Religion in Korea

I was raised Catholic, went to a Catholic elementary school and was confirmed and all that, but by no means am I a religious person now. I don't really have anything against religion either. Anyway, religion has never been a real issue back home. However, since coming to Korea, I've had more instances where religion came up in conversation than ever. I sort of knew in the back of my head that this would be the case when I came here, but I'm only bringing up this now since I had two run-ins with religion today.

The first one was at school. My co-teacher is Christian. I knew this the first week of the school year since I noticed that she brought a prayer journal with her to work. She asked me too, what my views were when we started working together and I let her know how I feel. Anyway, she asked me today why I looked so tired all the time and I told her I have trouble sleeping, which I really do. She then stopped me to tell me that she thinks it's because I don't go to church. It took me a lot of effort to not laugh, since I know that my sleeping issues are related to poor eating habits, drinking on Tuesdays, and a crippling addiction to the Internet.

The second occasion today was in front of a mini-mart while I was outside with my friends. We were standing outside and approached by Mormons. One was a white guy and the other dude was Korean. I think that I overlook the fact that Mormons are in Korea a lot. I just usually guess that foreigners in Korea are in the military or English teachers. Anyway, Mormons in Korea are just like Mormons in America. There's just less of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment