Monday, April 5, 2010

What I learned in Korean today:

Since I've decided to start taking Korean more seriously, I'm going to change the "What I learned in Korean this week" to a more regular feature. I won't be posting something new everyday but just whenever I decide to study. I'm also going to open this more up to rules about grammar and shit, instead of just vocabulary.

There's two things that I learned today.

  1. I have to speak Korean with more feeling. I don't really consider voice monotone, but I'm not speaking with the proper intonations in Korean. This is the most apparent when I'm asking questions. When asking a question, you say the same thing as you would as a sentence, but sort of raise your tone at the end of the sentence.
  2. Pronouns are often dropped when speaking in Korean, especially the word for "you." This makes things confusing sometimes.

Here's a good example of how both these things work.

Hangul - Pronunciation:

  • 남자친구 있어요? - Namja-chingu isseoyo?

Translation:

  • Do you have a boyfriend?

Translation when I say it without intonation:

  • I have a boyfriend.

As you can see, no intonation + no pronouns = me looking gay.

2 comments: